Thursday, November 26, 2009

On a day like this it's good to be Thankfull for stupid things.

My week of hell is almost at an end.

Working retail will hurt you every time.

But on Thanksgiving there is always something stupid you can make fun of.
Here's my top five:

#1: Thanksgiving day parades.
I've never been a fan of parades to begin with. Cars driving by with people waving. Horses or other animals going by and crapping. At least several performance squads from local high schools or colleges. All at a very slow pace. It's heaven for old people. But here is when parades even get worse: When they are on TV.
WTF? Really? What entertainment can be gleamed from watching this on TV? Worst Idea Ever.

#2: Stores being closed.
Why? What makes this holiday big enough to have everything closed? If I need some milk that means I have to pay $9.00 at a local gas station. I call bullshit. I will never understand the love affair between the average person and Thanksgiving/Columbus Day. We wiped out the Native Americans, how should be celebrate? Shut down banks and let's eat Turkey!!!

#3: This being the only holiday that people seem to eat turkey.
If you want a good turkey you unfortunately have to wait for this time of the year. This seems to be a horrible tradition. Let's expand our horizons. "Hmmm, how what should I make for Arbor Day dinner this year? I got it! Turkey!!". Let's make this bird know fear mankind year round. Next time you have a Bar Mitzvah, a wake,  Valentines Day, or are recovering from a heart attack: Think Turkey.

#4: The Detroit Lions.
They haven't been a good team for over a decade. Quit making it mandatory that they have to have games broadcast on Thanksgiving.

#5: People who start lining up at retail stores midday Thanksgiving.
About noon today the first of a large group of deranged shoppers will start lining up at retail outlets everywhere just so they can save a little extra money. Or worse, they're resellers who buy up these deals only to exploit buyers on EBay or Craigslist. For 10 years I have faced the likes of these people. And I still have to ask, is it worth it? And because of them I have to wake up every Black Friday morning at 1:30 A.M.

So now I'm off to clean the floors, sit in a chair, and watch the Lions lose again.

Then it's off to bed at 7 P.M. tonight.

*Sigh*.....

No comments:

Post a Comment